A graduate of the prestigious Carnegie-Mellon University Fine Arts program, Megalis can not be described in one word. He has developed animation projects for Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, PBS and Warner Brothers , has directed award winning TV commercials, hosted a morning radio show on the legendary WMMS in Cleveland and co wrote and directed a feature film that won "Best Feature Comedy" at the New Hope Film Festival. Tom Megalis's films have been shown at Sundance, Hiroshima Animation Festival, New York Film Festival and Annecy in France. An award winning filmmaker, Tom Megalis has won numerous NEA Fellowships and a Heinz Endowment Grant.
Tom's art work has been seen in multiple group and solo shows and is collected internationally. He is often commissioned by private buyers from around the globe and most recently has been commissioned to produce multiple large scale pieces for Choolaah, a national restaurant chain. In addition, Megalis has illustrated a top selling book that was written by his internet sensation son Nicholas Megalis. Published by Regan Arts.
Shows and Awards
- Three Rivers Arts Festival 2017
- East Side Gallery, Pittsburgh Group Show 2017
- Transitions Gallery, Canton, Ohio Solo Show
- Zanesville Museum of Art 72nd Annual Ohio Art Exhibition
- 2015 Recipient Nesnadny + Schwartz Visiting Curator Program, MOCA Cleveland.
- New Hope Film Festival 2013 winner "Best Comedy Feature Film"
- Youngstown Film Festival 2013
- Sundance Film Festival
- International Animation Hiroshima
- Annecy International Animated Film Festival
- New York Expo
- Chicago International Film Festival
- Southern Circuit - Tour of Independent Filmmakers
- Anderson Creative, Canton, Ohio Solo Show
- Heinz Endowment
- NEA Fellowship
- TAP Theater Association Of Pittsburgh Grant
- Laura Napar Grant